Dr Okechukwu Okorie
Lecturer in Sustainable Manufacturing (E&R)
Telephone: 01392 726112
Extension: (Streatham) 6112
I am a Lecturer in Sustainable Manufacturing in the College of Engineering, Mathematics and Physical Sciences (CEMPS) at the University of Exeter. My research concerns digitally enabled remanufacturing in operations and supply chains, as well as developments of novel circular business models and solutions for more sustainable, resilient and better performing manufacturing processes, products and services.
At the University of Exeter, I will be teaching in the areas of Sustainable Manufacturing (ENGM023) and Design, Innovation & Entrepreneurship (ENGM026), where I will be the Module Leader. I am also a guest Lecturer at the Exeter Business School supporting colleagues in teaching in area of Sustainable Business. I am currently pursing my Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (Advance HE) qualification.
Before joining CEMPS, I worked as an EPSRC Senior Research Fellow in Circular Technology in the Exeter Centre for Circular Economy (ECCE), University of Exeter Business School (2021-2022), a Research Fellow at ECCE (2019-2021), and a Research Assistant in the School of Water, Energy and Environment, Cranfield University (2019). In these Post-Doctoral roles, I led the research in the development of novel solutions in employing data-driven intelligence to optimise the selection of Circular Economy strategies for products as well as defining the modes and timings of intervention in the product lifecycle. I have also held external positions outside the United Kingdom, as a Visiting Research Academic Scholar in Remanufacturing at the Rochester Institute of Technology, New York. Overall, I have worked in large collaborative projects and industry-oriented projects funded by the EPSRC, GW4 and British Council (Newton Fund), collaborating with Airbus, Rolls Royce, Phillips (Signify), Techbuyer, PSS Remanufacturers amongst others. I have been a Co-I on two SPRITE+ EPSRC (EP/S035869/1) projects and I am a member of the Exeter Academic Steering Group. In 2021, I was selected as one of the 30 selected future research leaders of the GW4 region in the GW4 Crucible 2021 cohort.
I hold a BEng (Hons) degree in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Maiduguri, Nigeria and an MSc in Engineering Management from the University of South Wales, United Kingdom. I completed my PhD (Manufacturing) at the Sustainable Manufacturing Systems Centre, Cranfield University. From my PhD, I won a Best Poster Award at the Network Plus: Industrial Systems in the Digital Age Conference and a Cranfield University 3MT Award (2018). My PhD research was focused on integrating digitisation with the circular economy where I examined the data-enabled decision making process in the remanufacturing of sensor-embedded products. This work utilised a mixed-method approach, employing system dynamics modelling tool as well as qualitative research methods. I regularly publish and present my work at conferences and industry-based webinars.
Previous work experience include Condition Monitoring Analyst and Asset Care Maintenance Planning Engineer at Diageo Nigeria (Guinness Nigeria Plc). Here I led projects including integrating maintenance planning with condition monitoring analysis and logistics, adoption of SAP from Maximo for maintenance planning as well as design of new warehousing facilities. I have also worked as a Supply Chain Development Analyst for Damco, United Kingdom. I am an IMechE Chartered Engineer and a UK STEM Volunteer.
- Sustainable Manufacturing
- Circular Economy.
- Circular Value Chains
- Circular Business Models
- Smart Manufacturing and Remanufacturing
- Modelling and Simulation of Manufacturing Systems
- Condition Monitoring and Predictive Maintenance.
- End-of-Product Life Cycle Analysis.
- Smart Decision Support Systems.
- Lead Researcher, Feasibility Study Research Project on “Circular 4.0: Digital Intelligence to Enable a Circular Economy” funded by EPSRC Network Plus: Industrial Systems in the digital Age (EP/ P001246). 2017-2018
- Lead Researcher, Circular 4.0: Data Driven Intelligence for Circular Economy (EP/R032041/1). 2019-2022.
- Co-Investigator, Future Payment Systems: Data, Technology and Privacy after Covid (SPRITE+ EPSRC (EP/S035869/1) 2020-2021
- Co-Investigator, Can human dignity be modelled in an AI-based decision support system for post-Covid health certification? (SPRITE+ EPSRC (EP/S035869/1) 2020-2021
- Co-Investigator, “Technology-Enabled Circularity (TEC): Digitalisation and Sustainability in Manufacturing” (2022)
- Rolls Royce
- British Council/ Newton Fund.
- Delivering Publishing Expertise to Junior Academics Around the World
- PhD student conduct research with PSS
AWARDS AND HONOURS
- GW4 Crucible 2021 Participant.
- EPSRC (SPRITE +) Funding Award X2, 2020.
- British Council/ Newton Fund Researchers Fund Award (2019)
- University of Exeter, Business School Mobility Funding Award (2019/2020)
- People’s Choice Award, Cranfield University 3 Minutes Competition. Awarded at the Cranfield Doctoral Network Annual Event, 2018.
- Best Poster (Education) Award, EPSRC Network Plus: Industrial Systems in the Digital Age, “Looking Beyond Industry 4.0”, 2017 Conference, Glasgow 2017.
- Federal Government Scholar, 2001 A recipient of the Federal Government of Nigeria Scholarship Merit Award for Undergraduate Degree Studies
- Research Participant, Wharton Global faculty Development Program, Wharton Business School, University of Pennsylvania. (2020)
- Visiting Academic Scholar in Remanufacturing, Golisano Institute for Sustainability, Rochester Institute of Technology, New York, USA. (2019)
- Journal Reviewer: International Journal of Precision Engineering and Manufacturing-Green Technology, Journal of Manufacturing Systems, Journal of Remanufacturing, Journal of Cleaner Production, Sustainability, International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health), Energies. (Ongoing)
- Associate Supervisor (MSc Student, Cranfield University) (2019 – Ongoing)
- Member, Academy of Management
- Member, Institution of Mechanical Engineers
- Member, Institution of Engineering and Technology