Dr Zheng Jun Chew
Senior Lecturer in Energy Harvesting Power Management
Telephone: 01392 723684
Extension: (Streatham) 3684
I am a Senior Lecturer in Power Management in Energy Harvesting Systems. Before my current appointment, I was a Senior Research Fellow with the Energy Harvesting Research Group led by Professor Meiling Zhu. I am a Chartered Engineer and worked as an electrical engineer at Sony EMCS(M) Sdn Bhd before obtaining the Zienkiewicz scholarship to pursue my PhD at Swansea University.
I have worked in energy harvesting research since 2014, contributing towards successful project delivery and bidding of grant funding worth over £2M. I have worked on many projects that involved high-value industries such as aerospace, marine and railway with companies such as Airbus, BAE Systems, Babcock and Network Rail. I have generated 3 patents and 30 publications, including book chapters, journal and conference papers in energy harvesting from my research and co-founded a spin-out company Encortec. My research interests include low-power, high-efficiency and adaptive power management circuits for energy harvesting, sensor interfaces and wireless sensor network for industrial monitoring applications.
- PhD in Electronic & Electrical Engineering, 2014, Swansea University, Wales.
Thesis: Integrated Transducers and Nanostructure Synthesis
Fully funded by the Zienkiewicz Scholarship
- BEng (First Class Hons) in Electronic & Electrical Engineering, 2010, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow.
Project: Vibration-based MEMS battery
- SmartAIR+, Carbon Trust, Feb 23 - Dec 24, £102K, PI
- Co-Creation with Network Rail for Obtaining Trial Certification of Smart Rail Track Monitoring Systems, EPSRC IAA, Feb 23 - Aug 23, £35K, Co-I
- Zero Power, Large Area Rail Track Monitoring, EPSRC (EP/S024840/1), May 19 - May 23, £1.38M, Researcher-Co-I
- Accelerating rail track electromagnetic energy harvesting system for commercialisation, EPSRC IAA, Jan 22 - Mar 22, £35K, Co-I
- Accelerating Energy Harvesting Technology for Spin-out, EPSRC IAA, Jun 21 - May 22, £50K, Co-I
- AutoNaut for Extreme Environments, Innovate UK (104064), Jan 18 - Dec 20, £75K, Researcher-Co-I
- Multi-source power management to enable autonomous micro energy harvesting systems, Innovate UK (104004), Jan 18 - Jun 19, £150K, Researcher-Co-I
- Energy Harvesting Sensor Systems, SETSquared, Oct 17 - Jan 18, £30K, PI
- Energy Harvesting System for Battery-less Remote Monitoring, Open Innovation Platform, Oct 17 - Dec 17, £20K, Co-I
- Accelerating the Uptake of Energy Harvesting Technology by Industry, EPSRC IAA, Sep 17 - Jul 18, £ 35K, Co-I
- En-ComE: Energy Harvesting Powered Wireless Monitoring Systems Based on Integrated Smart Composite Structures and Energy-Aware Architecture, EPSRC (EP/K020331/1), Apr 14 - Oct 17, £630K, Researcher
- SENTIENT -SENsors To Inform and Enable wireless NeTworks, Innovate UK (101657), Jan 14 - Mar 17, £151K, Researcher
- SMARTER: Smart Multifunctional ARchitecture & Technology for Energy aware wireless sensoRs, EPSRC (EP/K017950/2), Apr 14 - Mar 16, £410K, Researcher
I have a funded PhD position to research in the area of power management, wireless network, sensing or data analytics related to energy harvesting applications. Please get in touch if you are interested.