Dr Gianmario Rinaldi
Lecturer in Mechanical Engineering (E&R)
I am Lecturer in Mechanical Engineering (Education & Research) at the Department of Engineering in the Faculty of Environment, Science and Economy. I have a strong passion and expertise in control theory and applications.
I received a BSc degree in Energy Engineering, a MSc degree in Electrical Engineering, and a PhD degree in Control Systems Engineering from the University of Pavia, Italy, in 2014, 2016, and 2019, respectively.
I have been a Postdoctoral Research Fellow in the College of Engineering, Mathematics and Physical Sciences at the University of Exeter (2019-2021). The research activity undertaken during my Postdoc was mainly focused on the design and experimental validation (in sea) of advanced information-driven optimal navigation and control strategies for underwater electric vehicles. Further details of this UKRI-NERC funded project can be found at https://www.campus-marine.org/home.
Research Interests and Applications
My research interests include:
- optimisation and optimal control;
- large-scale systems;
- fault estimation, reconstruction and mitigation
- variable structure/sliding mode systems;
- state observers and state estimation;
- model identification.
My research applications include:
- energy management and control of zero-emission powertrains;
- energy networks and power systems modelling, estimation and control;
- DC microgrids and DC power converters;
- control and path planning of autonomous vehicles;
- epidemiological models.
Staff affiliated to University of Exeter:
- Prof Prathyush P Menon, research leader of the Cooperative Robotics and Autonomus NEtworks (CRANE) lab;
- Prof Christopher Edwards;
- Prof Peter Challenor;
- Dr Shenan Grossberg;
- Prof Christopher W Smith;
- Dr Devika K Baby.
And internationally with:
- Prof Antonella Ferrara, University of Pavia, Italy;
- Prof Michele Cucuzzela, University of Pavia, Italy;
- Dr Juan Machado Martinez, Univesity of Gronigen, The Netherlands;
- Prof Jacquelien Scherpen, Univesity of Gronigen, The Netherlands;
- Prof Yuri Shtessel, University of Alabama in Huntsville, USA.
- Lynch Motors Ltd, Honiton, UK;
- Ecomar Propulsion Ltd, Fareham, UK.
If you are interested in my research activity, feel free to have al look at these webpages:
- My Google Scholar webpage (academic publications): https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=aVO4RL0AAAAJ&hl=en
- My ResearchGate profile: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Gianmario-Rinaldi
- My Linkedin profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/gianmario-rinaldi-5aaaa0b6/
Please contact me if you are interested in a PhD studentship aligned with my research interests.